"When we read, we start at the beginning and continue until we reach the end. When we write, we start in the middle and fight our way out." - Vickie Karp
Monday, 18 February 2013
what I've been up to when not at the bookshop...
1. Giggling at this.
2. Reading wonderful books by this publisher.
3. Writing my novel. A lot. I still have The Fear, but it is no longer owning me. Thank you, Mr. Kaufman. (The novel, in case you were wondering, is dystopian. It's about a group of women. That's all you're getting for now.)
4. Getting excited about it being lighter in the mornings - hurrah!
5. Getting ready to go to Paris next week - double hurrah! We've been once before, and very excited to be going back.
6. Trying (and often failing) to write a poem a day this month with my lovely pal Bri and some other fabulous American poets.
7. Eating far too many Malteser MaltEaster Bunnies. Yes, I know it's February. Shhh.
8. Getting freaked out by Black Mirror.
9. Preparing for the launch of More Weird Things..., which is two months away. Hurrah! You can take a look at the events I'm doing over here.
10. Having fun on Tumblr.
11. Going to bed. Goodnight! x
Jen Campbell is the author of the best-selling 'Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops' series. She's also an award-winning poet and short story writer. Her poetry collection 'The Hungry Ghost Festival' is published by The Rialto, and she lives in London, where she works at an antiquarian bookshop. Her new book, 'The Bookshop Book' is forthcoming autumn 2014, and she is currently writing her first novel.
Forthcoming 2nd October 2014 (click for details) pre-order
From the oldest bookshop in the world, to the smallest you could imagine, The Bookshop Book examines the history of books, talks to authors about their favourite places, and looks at over three hundred weirdly wonderful bookshops across six continents (sadly, we’ve yet to build a bookshop down in the South Pole). The Bookshop Book is a love letter to bookshops all around the world.
Sunday 5th October 2014 Wigtown Book Festival 3pm talk about The Bookshop Book, Q&A and signing. Buy tickets. Saturday 11th October exciting event in London - more details soon
Tuesday 14th October 2014 West End Lane Books, London 7:30pm. Talk, Q&A and signing.
Wednesday 15th October 2014 7:30pm-9pm: Waterstones Castle Street, Norwich Chat about 'The Bookshop Book.' Tickets are £6 or £4 for concessions and loyalty card holders, with £3 redeemable against a purchase of the new book on the night. Refreshments will be provided.
Thursday 16th October 2014 Blackwell's Oxford 'Will Bookshops Exist in 100 Years?' Discussion with Jen Campbell and Mark Forsyth. Tickets £6. More details here.
Saturday 18th October Ebb and Flo Bookshop, Chorley - more details soon
Tuesday 21st October
evening event - more details soon
Wednesday 22nd October George Bayntun, Bath evening event - more details soon
Wednesday 29th October 2014 7:30pm: The Big Comfy Bookshop, Coventry. Fargo Village, Far Gosford Street, Coventry, CV1 5EA Audience Q&A and signing.
Friday 7th November 2014 Much Ado Books, Sussex evening event - more details soon
Monday 10th November Hull Literature Festival - more details soon
Monday 17th November Shakespeare and Company, Paris evening event - more details soon
Thursday 20th November 2014 Beccles Books - more details soon.
Thursday 27th November 2014 Rossiter Books, Ross-on-Wye - more details soon
Saturday 6th December 2014 Pritchards, Merseyside - more details soon.