Wednesday, 18 April 2012

National Flash Fiction Day

I'm back in London after spending a wonderful day/night at Blackwell's in Oxford, writing poetry inspired by their bookshop, followed by an evening event about 'Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops.' Thank you so much to those who came along! It was a lot of fun, especially reenacting some of the scenes from the book. I'll write a proper blog post about it soon. ETA: You can view a snippet video of the night over here.

Tomorrow you can find me at The Firestation Bookswap in Windsor from 7.45pm. All details at this link here. Event is free is you bring a homemade cake [otherwise £5]. If you're in the area, then do come along :)

--

& now for something completely different:

On 16th May 2012, it is the first ever National Flash Fiction day! To celebrate, an anthology of flash fiction is to be published, and the organisers of National Flash Fiction Day asked for people to send in submissions. I'm extremely chuffed to say that a short-short story of mine has been accepted for publication in the book. The story is called 'Jawbreakers', and that's also going to be the title of the book as a whole, which is just lovely. Other contributors in the book include Ian Rankin, Tania Hershman, Vanessa Gebbie, David Gaffney etc [full list here]. I've been sent a proof and the book looks really lovely. This in particular made me do a very happy dance:


I adore Ali Smith, and I am extremely honoured to have my writing in the same book as hers. [It was a moment of major fangirl squealing!]

'Jawbreakers' will be published in print and e-book format at the beginning of May. I'll post details when it's out if anyone would like to track a copy down. Hurrah for flash fiction!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear after it has been approved by the site moderator. (This is to stop spam.)