Monday, 12 March 2012

Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops is going to America!

I'm very excited to say that 'Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops' is going to be published in the USA and Canada later this year by Overlook Press. Hurrah!

For the 'Weird Things Customers Say in Other Bookshops' section at the back of the book, Overlook would like to change it so that all of the quotes are from bookshops in US/Canada, SO I'm calling all booksellers there - please email me your best 'Weird Things Customers Say...' experiences to jenvcampbell@gmail.com - subject heading 'Weird Things...' Please include your name and where you work. Set your 'Weird Thing[s]' out in script format. Here's an example:

--

Me: Ok, so with postage that brings your total to £13.05. One second and I'll get the card machine.
Customer: No. No, absolutely not. I demand that you charge me £12.99. I will not pay for anything that starts with thirteen. You're trying to give me bad luck. Now, change it or I will go to a bookshop who doesn't want me to fall down a hole and die. Ok?

--

Send me your best, funniest and weirdest customer moments for the chance to be published. Deadline: 7th June.  Go go go!

[If you submitted quotes from the US for the UK edition then you don't need to submit those again :)]

If you're reading this and you're not a bookseller, please do spread the word to as many booksellers as you can via Twitter, facebook etc. Thank you! x]

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic news Jen, so pleased for you! I have Weird Things on my amazon wish list so very much looking to the "pre-order" button changing to the "buy" button soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Do you have Shakespeare in English?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy it's going to be published in the U.S.!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Out of interest, why do Outlook want all the examples to be from the US/Canada? I can see they might want to remove or amend some parts if they'd be incomprehensible to a North American audience, but does the bare fact that a conversation happens in Penge or Falkirk make it unacceptably alien to their target market? (Well done on the US deal in any case.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tim, it's more about involving the bookshops who will be selling the book :)

    ReplyDelete