Thursday, 15 December 2011

a whole load of blog posts about bookshops

I love bookshops.

Well, I would, since I work in one.

I'm guessing, if you're reading this, that you love bookshops too.

In the New Year I want to do a series of blog post 'spotlights' about individual bookshops. Bookshops are important, and this article earlier in the week made me sad, and angry.

As my lovely agent said on Twitter: Amazon don't acknowledge how they benefit from existence of bookshops. If there are none, they will suffer. But we will suffer most.

Very true.

HOWEVER, these bookshop blog posts I'm going to do aren't about Amazon. They are about spreading the joy of physical bookshops - showing photos, talking about the books booksellers in particular love to sell. They are about talking about local communities, favourite customers, events and author signings. They are going to be about showcasing the wonderfulness of booksellers and bookshops worldwide.

So, if you're a bookseller [anywhere in the world], and you're reading this, and you'd like me to write a blog post about your bookshop then please email me. You'll need to answer some questions and send over some photographs later on, but for the moment a simple 'ME PLEASE' will do, and I'll whack you on a list.

Lots of love. x

ETA: Bookshop spotlight No. 1 - Ripping Yarns bookshop

#2 Constellation Books
#3 Storytellers, Inc.
#4 Belgravia Books

10 comments:

  1. This will be a really nice blog to read! I look forward to it.
    Thanks for your efforts. They do produce joy for the rest of us out here!
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I'd like to read this! And I second Michael's thanks for all your posts, poems &c. Andrew x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea! Thank you! I just sent my email. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really look forward to reading these upcoming blog posts! Wonderful idea and way to celebrate bookstores.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a great idea - can't wait to read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've emailed you! And as I said there, can I just say what a great idea this is, and how wonderful it is that you're generating such a positive response to everything that horrible article stands for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Regarding bookstores, here is a good rebuttal to the frivolous Slate article:

    http://www.salon.com/2011/12/15/what_slate_doesnt_get_about_bookstores/singleton/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I see you've found a picture of the Honesty Bookshop in Hay-on-Wye! My first job in books was looking after those shelves. Sadly, they are now being dismantled by the new owner of the Castle, and we don't know if they are going to return.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 1st bookshop spotlight has been posted: http://jen-campbell.blogspot.com/2012/02/bookshop-spotlight-1-ripping-yarns.html

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after it has been approved by the site moderator. (This is to stop spam.)