Thursday, 15 September 2011

gifts in support of libraries, books, words, ideas.....

I was tweeting about these as they were being discovered, but you might have missed it, or you might not be on Twitter. Beautiful book sculptures made by an anonymous artist in Edinburgh have been found at literary organisations as 'Gifts in support of libraries, books, words, ideas.....' 

The first one was the 'poetree' discovered at The Scottish Poetry Library [@byleaveswelive]


Next to the 'poetree' is a paper egg filled with words which, when put together, make out "A Trace of Wings" by Edwin Morgan.

After the first one was discovered, seven different sculptures have since been 'gifted.' They are all so beautiful and intricate. My favourite is probably the one given to the Edinburgh Book Festival. There's something so 'Alice'-like about it.




Over here you can see the lovely Anna of @EdinCityofLit talking about the discovery of the book sculpture given to Edinburgh City of Literature, discovered at the Edinburgh International Book Festival.


Whoever made these: I think I love you.


You can see all of the book sculptures in their glory over here.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, these are great. Thanks for sharing them (I do not tweet!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I followed these as you brought them up the first time and then shared them with a friend who is an art conservator. We both agreed that they are works of art. They have been made with enormous skill - and must have taken hours and hours.
    I hope they will be preserved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't tweet either, so thanks for giving me the chance to enjoy these. They are incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My very favourite is the teacup one. They all possess such a delicate beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will appear after it has been approved by the site moderator. (This is to stop spam.)